Create mouthwatering joy by cooking up this oven-baked Ziti mixed with tasty homemade Bolognese sauce and a lot of stringy, lovely, delicious melted cheese with a crispy top!
Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients for Bolognese Sauce
- 1lb Chopped beef
- ½ lb Chopped pork
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- Half a cup of white wine
- Quarter of a tsp: your choice of: rosemary, nutmeg, or, juniper
Method for Bolognese Sauce
- Add 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil to a large pot and heat. Add chopped onions, carrots and celery to the pot and simmer over low-medium heat for 15 min or to the point the vegetables are softened and the onions are translucent. When the vegetables are done, increase heat to medium high.
- Add the chopped meat to the pot and slightly brown the meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Once the meat is browned, add wine and let it cook until wine evaporates. Then add tomato paste, the herb of your choice and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 2 – 3 hours at a very low heat
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2–3 hours (can be served at 2 hours, but will add some flavor the longer the sauce simmers).
Topping of the Baked Ziti can be a bechamel sauce, here’s a recipe for ours. Or you can use shredded Mozzarella or a 4 cheese Italian blend.
Ingredients for Bechamel Sauce
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- A pinch of salt
Method for Bechamel Sauce
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add butter and flour and continuously stir until well mixed and smooth.
- Add hot milk slowly and keep on stirring with a wooden spoon or a whisk. Simmer for 15 min.
- Add salt and nutmeg. The sauce will thicken as you continue stirring.
Prep time: none
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Baked Ziti
- 1 bag of Felicetti Organic Ziti
- Bolognese sauce
- Bechamel sauce or shredded mozzarella or 4 cheese Italian blend (1 package of Shredded cheese should be enough but you can use more cheese if you’d like)
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Method for Baked Ziti
- Cook ziti “al dente” and drain and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add the Bolognese sauce.
- In a casserole dish, add a layer of the ziti mixture. Then, spread the bechamel sauce or cheese on top.
- Repeat this for 2 or 3 layers. Place the casserole in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes. To finish, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and place under the broiler until the top is a golden brown.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes in the oven, 5 minutes in broiler